Snappy Gum Tree in Spinifex, Newman - Photo: Tourism WA, with thanks to Tourism Western Australia.
Submitted by: 4WD Tracks
04 Jun 2010
Location: Newman, Windy - Windy Corner, WA
Talawana Track (Newman-Windy Corner)
The Talawana Track connects Newman and the vast Pilbara Region with the middle of the Canning Stock Route, and then continues south to meet the Gary Highway at Windy Corner. Supplies are very limited and facilities along the track are nil. It is often closed after rain.
· Best travelled: April – September.
· Start and Finish point: Newman – Windy Corner.
· Total distance: 649km.
· Approx time to cover: 2 days.
· Longest distance between fuel supplies: Newman to Well 23 (413km).
· Availability of other supplies: Newman, Well 23 (fuel only), Jigalong (20km off road).
· Rating: Medium.
· Permits required and contacts:
o Department of Indigenous Affairs: ph (08) 9235 8000
With thanks to 4x4 Australia Magazine.